Re: [idn] The layers and character handling in DNS

> >so what you're saying is that, at least in some parts of the world,
> >folks won't be able to use IDNs until they upgrade their platforms
> >to support Unicode?
>
> No, not at all. "Platforms" don't need to support "Unicode";
> applications need to support IDN. The IDN protocol we are working on
> has parts of The Unicode Standard in it.

I might believe that you can *display* IDNs independent of platform support
for Unicode, at least, if you have a pixel-addressable display of sufficient
resolution, and sufficient storage for Unicode fonts.

whether you can effectively *input* IDNs without platform support for Unicode
is a different question.

Keith