Re: [idn] Thoughts on nameprep

Alfred Novacek <Novacek@pop.idv.uni-linz.ac.at> wrote:

> It may still be debated whether applications are the best place; other
> options are DNS resolver libraries and DNS servers;

If you change only the resolver and/or DNS server, and make no change to
the application, how is the resolver or DNS server going to know what
encoding the application used?  Heck, how is the application going to
know?  For example, I can (and do) use Netscape to view both Latin-1
pages and Japanese pages, but Netscape currently contains no code to
detect (or allow the user to indicate) whether the text entered into the
Location field is iso-8859-1 or euc-jp (because today it's supposed to
be just us-ascii).

AMC