Re: [idn] Walid inc. patent news.

At/À 14:10 2001-04-26 -0400, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine you
wrote/vous écriviez:
>Marc,
>
>I understood Dave's proposal to be expert-guided design, an engineering
>activity.

yeap.

>You appear to have understood Dave's proposal to be a non-engineering
>activity.

no. I did understand well.

>If you substitute my reading for your own, please re-evaluate your
>"cannot be" comment. Both Dave and I are curious why the activity he
>proposed (my reading, not yours) cannot be carried out by an IETF WG,

- I was not commenting on the value of the activity. i.e. it may be good or
not to do it.
- I was just saying that this activity, based on my limited knowledge of
ietf, cannot be a working group formal activity per se. this is it. nothing
else. Since the ietf, by itself, does not conduct "patent activities". (one
can argue differently obviously... ;-)))
- So in other words, you are free to do it, but not with an official wg
hat, but as individuals.

clearer?  (sorry for the confusion: email is a non perfect medium to
communicate, and with my short writing style and my bad english, added this
"sensitive" subject. makes things not clear then confusion arises... sorry
again).

>and I agree with his aside that such work is better carried out by a
>focused group with the ability to obtain expert IPR guidence.

yes.

Marc.