No Subject

<moore@cs.utk.edu>
Subject: Re: [idn] Alternative Solutions
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

The proxy system of APNG has been widely publicised since the project
was commissioned in July 1998.
This was documented in the APNG Geneva Meeting
http://www.apng.org/commission/

The findings and report was adopted in March 1999
http://www.apng.org/commission/idns/ in a public meeting.

>From August to December 1998, the pre-prototype proxy "intercept and
convert"
system using UTF5" was demonstrated in Hong Kong, India, Korea and China
and
managed to gather international interest in this project.
At the IFWP August meeting in Singapore, the system was demonstrated to
various
international delegates to the meeting, who were discussing the issues
surrounding the new IANA, including those from InterNIC and from the
IETF.

If this widely publicised system is not prior art, then I don't really
know
what constitutes prior art.

As for http://www.apng.org/idns/
the original server hosting this is
http://www.irdu.nus.edu.sg/apng/idns/
before it was transferred to the new APNG Chairman's computer
in Waseda University.
mirage: /home/server/webster/WWW/apng/idns > ls -al index*
-rw-rw-r--   1 jseng    idns        9109 Jun  7  1999 index.shtml
when it was last edited to repoint to another new website,
but essentially the contents were of 1998 antiquity.

The powerpoint presentation linked from http://www.apng.org/idns/
mirage: /home/server/webster/WWW/apng/idns > ls -al sgnic-dns.ppt
-rw-r--r--   1 jseng    student    86528 Jul 13  1998 sgnic-dns.ppt
This presentation was originally presented at the SGNIC conference
on DNS in Singapore, which Dave Crocker was also a speaker if my
fading memory still serves me well.

The FAQs for instance http://www.irdu.nus.edu.sg/apng/idns/faq.html
mirage: /home/server/webster/WWW/apng/idns > ls -al *faq*
-rw-rw-r--   1 jseng    idns       11888 Dec  7  1998 faq.html
-rw-rw----   1 jseng    idns        5435 Jul  7  1998 faq2.html
-rw-rw-r--   1 jseng    idns        2413 Jul  3  1998 oldfaq.html

Martin Dürst's ietf draft harks back to 1997 and 1996 even? Martin?
and there's of course Jason Pouflis' work.

And regarding what is obvious to a patent examiner or not, I believe
this is what we pay the Patent Office, inter alia, a search for prior
art.
During the time of patenting, a simple search of Yahoo with search
strings
"internationalised domain names" would immediately pick up:

APNG Chairman's Commission
     ... APNG8-CC2, Jul98, Multilingual Multiscript Domain Names
Service, Joint
APNG-CIR(Singapore)
     Project | URL - launched 17th Oct 98 | Final Report-Meeting March
1999 ...
     http://www.apng.org/commission/   [More Results From: www.apng.org]

And "what is obvious" is pegged at what is obvious to a
professional in the field which the patent is concerned with, and
not pegged at the proverbial "man in the street" or
better (maybe worse), the "patent examiner", although
operationally, it may not be the case, as Keith pointed out.

bestrgds

Tin Wee (personally speaking)