Re: [idn] An ignorant question about TC<-> SC

On Sunday, October 28, 2001 12:41 PM, James Seng/Personal wrote:

> > > Such mixed TC/SC is possible but not useful in practice. It is
> neither
> > > "TC" or "SC" and using it is fairly complex to use. Perhaps some
> > > statistic of how many such TC/SC mixed label been registered in
> practice
> > > will be useful.
> >
> > No, in HK and MO and mainland of china, many people use Mixed TC/SC.
> > This is fact we can not avoid.
>
> Yes, TC & SC are used in some place. Many text also have mixed TC/SC.
>
> But I am saying mixing "TC" and "SC" in one single label is uncommon
> simply because it is difficult to type. You need to switch from TC IME
> to SC IME repeatively.

No, I do can type TC AND SC in a very usual IME without swich.
And, we can not regulate the register behavior,  whether or not mixing "TC"
and "SC" is in one single label depend on customers.

> Do you have any statistic on how many mixed TC/SC registration have been
> done so far?

If there just has 1% or 0.1% , do you mean we can ignore it?

> > > I presumed you mean from a "policy view", not technology because if
> we
> > > cannot guarantee from technology view, ie there is no technology,
> then
> > > we cannot do so in IDN anyway
> >
> > No. In current profile of IDNA, there is no technology.
> > But this does not mean that there no technology solution, and you
> know it,
> > but you refuse to accept this fact.
>
> Wait, read my reply again. I am saying what you said is a "policy view"
> not a "technology view". Whether we have this technology or not is not
> my point.
>
> If there is a technology to do TC/SC, then we can either do it at IDNA
> or registration. If there is no technology, then we can do none.
>
> > If we can not guarantee the solution satisfy custom's requirement, the
> answer is:
> > let user to suffer it, because there hasn't techonolgy solution(as
> your words) and
> > we will push this  defective solution.
>
> It is all engineering trade off. No solution is perfect.

You mean the problem is so tiny that we can ignore it,
I think you are cheat yourself, because you know Chinese characters.

Deng xiang