Re: [idn] naming syntax rules

> "Dan Oscarsson" <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se> wrote:

> > Having the above set in place, applications can apply additional
> > rules and they can change over time without the basic DNS
> > workings having to be changed.
> > The above rules gives DNS a simple clear foundation to stand on.

It may be that we are actually somewhat close in agreement on the
architecture, although in disagreement on the implementation details.

In the proposed ruleset, there is one rule that governs "domain names",
and several rules which can be considered as application-specific for
particular types of labels. EG, the application-specific labels which are
valid for SRV owner domain names are these, while the labels which are
valid for RP data domain names are these, and so forth.

The big difference is the mandatory case conversion and normalization
issues. We will get nowhere as a group until a counter-proposal is made
and debated.