AW: RADEXT Milestone revisions

Hi David,

> Hannes Tschofenig writes...
>
> > wouldn't be something like radius domain of interopretation
> for isakmp
> > be appropriate here.
>
> I don't know.  We're talking about keywrap for specific uses, e.g.
> 802.11.  OTOH, there is a charter prohibition on developing a new
> security model for RADIUS.

Here is my understanding what is going on with the keywrap:

The Problem:

EAP-derived keying material has to be sent confidentiality protected
from the RADIUS server to the RADIUS client.
Intermediate proxies MUST NOT see the EAP-derived keying material.

The Solution:

KeyWrap keys* need to be available at the RADIUS server and the RADIUS
client to allow protected key transport between these two endpoints.

*: These keys can either be static or dynamically established. Key
management is known to be difficult.

The Open Question:

Is an out-of-band based key management really an option?
My argument is that you also have to care about the key management.
Dealing also with the encryption of the EAP-derived keying material is
not enough.

> > there is also a rule that says "adding manpower to a late project
> makes
> > it later."
>
> Yes.  "The Mythical Man-Month".  :-)  It is a balance, to be sure.
>
> > in ecrit we scheduled an interim meeting that helped a lot
> to speedup
> > the work on the document.
> > you might also want to think about it.
>
> This is something that we could consider.  Sometimes a couple
> of days of
> face-time is very  helpful.  The other alternative is teleconferences.

yes, we also investigated this option. the problem is: the rules for
official phone conferences and interim meetings are the same. this gives
very little time for phone conferences and a face-to-face meeting is
more efficient.
these rules are also probably something to revisit.

> While providing less bandwidth, teleconferences have the
> benefit of not
> requiring travel (and travel budget).
sure.

i am willing to host a meeting in munich, if you would like to schedule
one.

ciao
hannes