Re: RADIUS-Geopriv: Request for review

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:10:45PM +0100, Tschofenig, Hannes wrote:

> I have submitted an update for the RADIUS-Geopriv draft. Before it
> appears on the draft announcement list please find it at:
>
> http://www.tschofenig.com/drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-05.txt
> http://www.tschofenig.com/drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-05.html

  The Operator-Name attribute does not follow existing RADIUS data
types.  Packing multiple pieces of data into one attribute should be
discouraged.

  The Location-Information attribute is even more complicated.  And
the format of the attribute changes depending on field values.  This
is a recipe for disaster.  At the minimum, the Location-Info field
should be removed from Location-Information, and replaced with two new
attributes: Location-Civic-Information and
Location-Geospatial-Information.

  And defining the resolution & latitude data as non-byte aligned is
another recipe for disaster.  It would cost almost nothing to align
the fields, and would significantly increase inter-operability and
decrease deployment problems.

  If the unaligned data is taken from another standard, then the
fields should be left undefined here.  Rather than explicitely
describing them, the attribute contents should instead be a normitive
reference to another data structure.  And I don't see any normitive
reference to a document describing these fields, so it looks like the
geospatial attribute format was created specifically for this I-D.

  In that case, it is even more of a requirement that the format be
fixed before this document moves forward.

  For the Requested-Info attribute, it would be best to describe it as
a bit array, rather than saying things like "a numerical value of this
attribute is 8".  If it's a bit array, then the fields have offsets
with the array, but have no numerical value.