RE: New Technical Issues RE: WG last call in progress on VLAN/Priority Draft

Emile van Bergen writes...

> Eg. the number of hours, minutes and seconds that a session lasted are
> so closely related that we decided to do all kinds of bad, bad magic
> those 3 values and pack them together into one attribute:
> Acct-Session-Time.

I think perhaps you are making a jest at my expense.  That's fine; I
have a thick skin.

> If all packing is bad, I suppose you also consider /that/ attribute a
> candidate for a complex data type as well? No?

No.

> Why not?

Because RFC 2865 defines a time as a base data type:

time    32 bit unsigned value, most significant octet first --
        seconds since 00:00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970.  The
        standard Attributes do not use this data type but it is
        presented here for possible use in future attributes.