Re: MIB Counters discontinuity (Was RE: radius dynauth client/server mibs structure)

"This counter may experience discontinuity when the Dynamic Authorization Client (DAC) module is (re)started".

Why only the DAC module?

IMO, in theory, a DAC/DAS can be restarted regardless of the system
restart(or sysUpTime). A similar statement is applicable to DAS
Mib/module.

Is it enough bu saying that there is a discontinuity at DAC or DAS module restart or is there then also a need for a scalar that contains the value of sysUpTime at the time the discontinuity happened? For implementations where the DAC or DAS cannot restart without that the whole system restarts, this will always contain zero. This looks better to me but then the case where counters survive a restart (e.g., if they are put in persistent memory) is not possible anymore. I am not really interested in that case since these counters are not so important that they have to survive a restart. Introducing such an object would also mean that when the management application restarts (sysUpTime is zero), then also the counters have to be reset even though the DAC or DAS module might not have restarted (which is no problem for me).

So, what is now the preference:

1) stating for each counter that it may experience a discontinuity when the DAC or DAS module (re)starts.
2) introducing such a scalar
3) use sysORUpTime instead

Thanks,
Stefaan

Thanks
Nagi.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/> P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany