Review of draft-ietf-radext-vlan-02.txt

Hi all,

I reviewed the draft and I came across a number of questions. I am referring only to the User-Priority-Table attribute.

The document defines a QoS provisioning and authorization solution based on traffic classes. These classes are defined in IEEE 802.1D.

The document does not describe the semantic when the User-Priority-Table attribute is included in the Access-Request. Section 1.3 talks about the provisioning semantic when included in the Access-Accept. I think it is necessary to describe the semantical difference between these two approaches.

How is the data traffic mapped to the QoS class? Which attribute carries this flow identifier? I think it is necessary to provide a description.

Why is the length of the value carried in the User-Priority-Table attribute 10 bytes long? (We are talking about 8 QoS classes, as I read from Annex G.) Why is the data type a string?

You seem to assume that the RADIUS server knows something about the link specific properties. I got the feedback that this is not appreciated for QoS. Here are two examples:

1) What happens if the RADIUS server receives the User-Priority-Table attribute in the Access-Request but it has only Y.1541 QoS classes stored in the user's profile? Do you assume that the RADIUS server is able to provide a mapping? Should the RADIUS server fail when it either does not understand the QoS classes or if it is unable to map them? Should the RADIUS client know what the RADIUS server understands?

2) Is the an applicability problem with provisioning in a roaming environment when the RADIUS server of my home network sends the User-Priority-Table attribute to the visited network which might be a IEEE 802.16e network? According to your description the RADIUS client would fail according to the description in Section 1.3. Would it be necessary for the RADIUS client to indicate that it is attached to a IEEE 802.1D network with support for the QoS classes in order to allow the Access-Accept message to be meaningful?

How long is the authoriziation decision valid when the User-Priority-Table attribute in sent in the Access-Request?

Do you see a need to reflect the QoS decision in the interworking with accounting or RADIUS prepaid (e.g., cost of the reservation)?

Ciao
Hannes

PS: It might be good to find a few QoS experts for review of this document. I could try to find someone, if you want.