Issue 169: Handling Unparsable NAS-Filter-Rule

Greg pointed out...

>Issue 169: Handling Unparsable NAS-Filter-Rule
>Submitter names: Greg Weber
>Submitter email address: gdweber@cisco.com
>Date first submitted: February 2, 2006
>Reference: http://ops.ietf.org/lists/radiusext/2006/msg00104.html
>Document: IEEE 802-01
>Comment type: Technical
>Section: 1.4, 6
>Rationale/Explanation of issue:
>The NAS-Filter-Rule represents a *lot* of functionality.
>I think we can expect lots of variability in NASes which
>support various parts, e.g. maybe all the filtering, but
>not HTTP redirection, etc.  I think we maybe need to be
>clearer on what is supposed to happen when the NAS gets
>a CoA-Request or Access-Request containing directives
>that it cannot parse or apply.  In particular, in Section
>1.4 "Attribute Interpretation", I see text indicating that
>non-understood attributes result in Access-Rejects.  But,
>in Section 6 "Security Considerations", I see text like:
>"...a NAS could be configured to ... not accept any
>redirection rules if it is known they are not used in
>this environment."   These would seem to be contradictory.
>
>Requested change:
>Need clarification on the intent.

I hear you on this issue.  How about the change of section 1.4 to read from:

"If a NAS conforming to this specification receives an Access-Accept packet
containing an attribute defined in this document which it cannot apply, it
MUST act as though it had received an Access-Reject."

"If a NAS conforming to this specification receives an Access-Accept packet
containing an attribute defined in this document which it cannot apply, it
MUST act as though it had received an Access-Reject.  A NAS may be incapable
of applying an attribute due to functional limitations of the NAS or
security reasons (as described in section 7 - Security Considerations)."

Does this help?

MS

Mauricio Sanchez, CISSP
Network Security Architect