RE: The RADIUS attribute space: an assessment

> Many of the superior features of Diameter are already
> deployed in RADIUS.  Radsec, SRV record lookups, vendor
> attributes, etc. all mitigate the real-world need to move
> to Diameter.

That may well be so.

> To a large extent the operators don't have a choice.
> The people who *are* requiring Diameter in new deployments
> are the large telecom providers, who can afford big bucks
> for new equipment.  Everyone else in the world is stuck with
> whatever the vendors implement: RADIUS.

This is the part that I've never really understood.  Is the issue that
equipment vendors choose not to offer Diameter clients in version
upgrades of the operating SW/FW for their equipment?  Is Diameter only
available on new equipment (forklift upgrade)?