Re: The RADIUS attribute space: an assessment

"Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <gwz@cisco.com> wrote:
> ???

  Making negative comments about someone's work isn't very nice.

> Actually, I thought that I had, by suggesting how to extend a RADIUS
> server w/one new feature (Diameter).  That way administrators don't
> _have_ to do anything new, but they _can_.  What's so alienating about
> that?

  I've looked under all the nooks and crannies I can find.  No such
Diameter server exists, and none is likely to exist in the near future.

  Is it really rocket science?  You said:

> ... if a vendor (commercial or otherwise) can't figure out how ...

  Figuring out how is the easy part.  Getting time/money to do the
work is the hard part.

  No one is funding an effort to replace FreeRADIUS with a compatible
Diameter server, which would seem to explain why one doesn't exist.
When this is pointed out, you scratch your head, and wonder why it
would need funding...

> Here's a thought: back up a bit & ask why equipment vendors aren't
> implementing it.  Is it just a bad idea?

  See my earlier comments about no customers asking for it.

> Hmm.  I could have sworn that (according to you) the main problem was
> that there are no open-source servers; isn't that your department?

  No, I explained that there were multiple factors, one of which was
the lack of an open source server.  If people *cooperated* to get the
peices done, it would be more likely to happen.

  But the NAS vendors aren't doing it, and the open source people
aren't doing it either, for all the previously mentioned reasons.

  So we're left with your complaints on the list that Diameter isn't
being deployed.  What, then, are your proposals to solve the problem?