RE: Proposed Resolution to Issue 198: Attribute Concatenation/Splitting

Bernard and all,

This TAG thing is very complex. We can get rid of the '0' tag
requirement by saying that every NAS Filter Rule MUST have a unique
non-zero TAG value in the range of 0x01 to 0x3F.
If an NAS filter rule attribute needs to be fragmeneted (length is
greater then 252) then the fragments is placed in a subsequent
NAS-Filter-Rule attribute and the same TAG value is used.

Anyway...here are some comments on the proposed text... See inline...

The tag field is not identifying the filter rule because filter rules
that are not fragmented will have a tag of '0'. My proposal above makes
the TAG identify the filter rule uniquely.

> the length of the Tag field is one octet
> and it MUST
>       always be present.  The Tag field value MUST be in the range
>       0x01-0x3F; NAS-Filter-Rule attributes with a Tag field value of
>       0x00 are ignored upon receipt.
>
>       Where a single filter rule is less than or equal to 252
> octets in
>       length, it MUST be encoded with a tag value of '0'
> (0x30) and MUST
>       NOT be split between multiple NAS-Filter-Rule
> attributes.  Where a
>       single filter rule is split into multiple NAS-Filter-Rule
>       attributes, the attributes SHOULD be sent consecutively, without
>       intervening attributes with another Tag field value.

I think you want to say:

"the attributes MUST be sent consecutively, without intervening
NAS-Filter-Rule attributes with a different Tag field value."

RADIUS already covers in order delivery.

Yes the above statement does allow for a RADIUS server to insert other
attributes between two NAS-Filter-Rules.  And yes receivers have to cope
with that. However that is allowed behavior of RADIUS and we must not
change that even with a SHOULD.