RE: Filter Separation using a NULL?

Bernard Aboba <> supposedly scribbled on Wednesday, October 18, 2006
9:52 PM:

> To clarify Mauricio's question, I've changed the text somewhat. The
> updated text is available for inspection here:
>
> http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/RADEXT/draft-ietf-radext-filter-03.txt

OK, I'm having a little trouble understanding the point of this & the
reasoning behind it.  I thought that the problem we were trying to solve
was the transmission of a filter set, consisting of one or more rules,
which is potentially larger than the data size of a RADIUS attribute.
Further, the document leads me to believe that it is expected that this
set will be used as such, giving explicit instructions for its
reconstruction on the client ("Where multiple NAS-Filter-Rule attributes
are included in a RADIUS packet, the String field of the attributes are
to be concatenated to form a set of filter rules."); presumably, the
client will need to parse these rules in order to install them, since
the syntax used is that of BSD (not the most popular NAS OS on the
planet, AFAIK).  So what is the point of taking apart this nice set,
parsing it into individual rules, then reconcatenating the
(NUL-terminated) rules into a set again for transmission?  I suspect
that I'm just confused, but maybe somebody can help me out.