RE: Inclusion of Filter-Id and NAS-Filter-Rule AVPs

Dave Mitton writes...

> I've changed my view of this issue of being that of forwards
> compatibility.
>
> You are adding a new feature, and there is existing deployment
> of the old feature.  You cannot just wish them to disappear.
> > There will be mixed deployments, and the definition of the
> new feature should accommodate the existing systems as best
> as possible.
> > Perhaps leaving it to the vendor is insufficient.  But the
> situation cannot be outlawed.

Well, if anyone truly cares about multi-vendor interoperability,
something needs to be done.  IMHO, the current Diameter spec is badly
flawed in this regard. In the absence of a set of well-defined
precedence rules, users can't reasonably expect to see consistent
application of access control policy, in multi-vendor NAS deployments,
when using a combination of Filter-ID and Filter-Rule semantics.

Perhaps the best solution is simply to say this in the document. For example:

"The NAS-Filter-Rule attribute is not intended to be used concurrently with any other filter rule attribute, including Filter-Id (11) and NAS-Traffic-Rule [Traffic] attributes. NAS-Filter-Rule and NAS-Traffic-Rule attributes MUST NOT appear in the same RADIUS packet. If a NAS-Traffic-Rule attribute is present, a NAS implementing this specification MUST silently discard NAS-Filter-Rule attributes, if present. Filter-Id and NAS-Filter-Rule attributes SHOULD NOT appear in the same RADIUS packet. Given the absence in [RFC4005] of well-defined precedence rules for combining Filter-Id and NAS-Filter-Rule attributes into a single rule set, the behavior of NASes receiving both attributes is undefined, and therefore a RADIUS server implementation cannot assume a consistent behavior."