Re: RADIUS over TCP Issues

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> *RADIUS over TCP**Issue Number*
> 	*Status* 	*Type* 	*Description* 	*Owner*
> Issue 291 	Pending 	Technical 	UDP/TCP Translation
> <http://www.drizzle.com/%7Eaboba/RADEXT/radissues2.html#Issue%20291>
> Alan DeKok <mailto:aland@deployingradius.com>

  Resolved.  Section 2.5 of the document discusses this.

> Issue 292 	Pending 	Technical 	Applicability
> <http://www.drizzle.com/%7Eaboba/RADEXT/radissues2.html#Issue%20292>
> Alan DeKok <mailto:aland@deployingradius.com>

  Resolved.  Section 1.1 of the document contains the updated text.

> Issue 293 	Pending 	Technical 	Watchdog Timer
> <http://www.drizzle.com/%7Eaboba/RADEXT/radissues2.html#Issue%20293>
> Alan DeKok <mailto:aland@deployingradius.com>

  Resolved.  Section 2.6.1 contains text about this issue.

> Issue 294 	No Discussion 	Technical 	Document Status
> <http://www.drizzle.com/%7Eaboba/RADEXT/radissues2.html#Issue%20294>
> Bernard Aboba <mailto:bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>

  Resolved.  The document has been updated to be "experimental".
(Modulo one typo)

> Issue 295 	Pending 	Technical 	Head of Line Blocking
> <http://www.drizzle.com/%7Eaboba/RADEXT/radissues2.html#Issue%20295>
> Alan DeKok <mailto:aland@deployingradius.com>

  Resolved.  I've added some text to the document discussing this (see
below), and will issue a new revision shortly.

   When using UDP as a transport for RADIUS, there is no ordering of
   packets.  If a packet sent by a client is lost, that loss has no
   effect on subsequent packets sent by that client.

   Unlike UDP, TCP is subject to issues related to Head of Line (HoL)
   blocking.  This occurs when when a TCP segment is lost and a
   subsequent TCP segment arrives out of order.  While the RADIUS server
   can process RADIUS packets out of order, the semantics of TCP makes
   this impossible.  This limitation can lower the maximum packet
   processing rate of RADIUS over TCP.