Re: IESG review DISCUSS on draft-ietf-radext-management-authorization-06.txt

Good -- thanks.

Jari

Dave Nelson wrote:
[IESG Evaluation DISCUSS] from Jari Arkko
This spec is overall in very good shape. However, I had the following
problems:

Section 5.3 says on Management-Policy-Id attribute:

  The Text field is one or more octets, and its contents are
  implementation dependent.  It is intended to be human readable and
  MUST NOT affect operation of the protocol.  It is RECOMMENDED that
  the message contain UTF-8 encoded 10646 [RFC3629] characters.

The statement about not affecting the operation of the protocol is
at least misleading and confusing and likely also factually wrong.
Like the document states earlier:

  If the NAS supports this attribute, but the
  policy name is unknown ... the NAS MUST treat
  the Access-Accept packet as if it had been an Access-Reject.

So the contents of the field can actually have an effect even
at the RADIUS level. I would suggest saying something else, e.g.,

  It is intended to be human readable and the contents MUST NOT be
  parsed by the receiver; the contents can only be used to look up
  locally defined policies.

We will revise the draft to use the above suggested text.