RE: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-radext-design

> > Folks, is this statement is true - I am very concerned about this being
> > ready to be a BCP. Was there a consensus call on this? Does the WG have
> > consensus on this?

From what I can tell, Section 3.2 does not make a recommendation on switching from
an 8-bit to a 16-bit vendor-type format.   It does describe situations in which an 8-bit
vendor type field would be inadequate.

As noted by Jari, there is a normative recommendation that RADIUS servers support a 16-bit
vendor-type (presumably in addition to the 8-bit vendor type).  IMHO, that normative
recommendation would be more appropriate in the Extended Attributes document, which
actually utilizes the 16-bit vendor type.

> i.e. the overwhelming majority (> 95%) of the major and minor vendors find the RFC VSA format acceptable.

Right.  Almost all vendors use the 8-bit vendor-type.   This should not be surprising since the
issues described in Section 3.2 will typically apply more to SDOs than to vendors.

But since the document doesn't recommend against use of the 8-bit vendor-type, this isn't an issue.