RE: Open issues on the Crypto-Agility Requirements draft

I would remind people that the focus here is on the requirements, not
the solution.

One of the reasons we do requirements documents is to determine when
we are done.

The requirements document has already taken so long that we are now in
danger of finishing work on solutions that may not meet the requirements.

So we need to ratchet up the rate of progress, so as to finish this document
in the next few months.

One big issue that we need to close on his the requirements with respect
to downgrade attacks.

Assuming that legacy RADIUS is still supported in a NAS deployment
(likely to be true for a long time), then it is possible for an attacker
to attempt to convince the RADIUS server (which we presume has been
upgraded) to utilize legacy RADIUS with MD5 security.

It seems to me that the only way to completely address this is by having
the NAS indicate support *within RADIUS*.

Use of dynamic discovery doesn't help without DNSSEC, since an attacker
can forge the RRs to force a downgrade.

Use of transport wrappers can't address it either if we assume that
attackers have the ability to cause arbitrary packets to be lost, and that
the NAS will drop down to ordinary RADIUS in the situation that transmission
layer security doesn't generate a response.

However, if we assume that MD5 hasn't yet been cracked, then even if the
attacker convinces the NAS to use legacy RADIUS, if there is an attribute
that annouces what the NAS is capable of, when the server receives the
Access-Request, it can determine that something has gone wrong (e.g.
client claims to support crypto-agility, but the Access-Request didn't
use it).

As Glen pointed out, if sensitive information is provided in the Access-Request,
you still have a problem (e.g. User-Password attribute could expose the user
password).  But at least the issue can be discovered after the fact.