RE: Open issues on the Crypto-Agility Requirements draft

Bernard Aboba [mailto:bernard_aboba@hotmail.com]  writes:

> As I mentioned in the meeting, this is making a rather huge assumption about
> deployment issues over which the IETF has no control; in addition, the
> experience WRT Diameter security deployment is not especially encouraging.

My understanding is that many Diameter deployments use no security at all,
making them much *less* secure than RADIUS.

And these deployments are with NASes that are considerably more expensive
than a mass market access point.

I'm not sure whether the issue is operational (too hard to configure) or
with the implementation.

My guess is that it's a matter of "security by assertion and assumption", the assertion being that  our internal network is totally secure from external attack with the assumption that all employees are both trustworthy & incorruptible…

But something, somewhere, appears to have gone very wrong.