Re: Extended Attributes and Diameter Compatibility

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> b. Status of RFC 4005bis in DIME.  David Mitton's original proposal for
> enabling translation of *any* RADIUS VSA to Diameter is not currently on
> the (revised) DIME WG charter.  It is not clear that there is interest
> within DIME to pursue this.

  Not being a Diameter person, I would prefer (c), followed by (b).

> c. Need for RADIUS/Diameter translation.  While RADEXT WG documents need
> a Diameter considerations section, and so far this section has typically
> relied on translation, it is not clear whether translation really makes
> sense.  Few deployments appear to make use of this currently.  If RADIUS
> support is needed, then a "dual stack" approach can be taken -- run both
> a RADIUS and a Diameter server against a common backend database.  So is
> there really a need to support RAIDUS attributes within Diameter itself?

  My discussions with people indicate that the in-use cases for Diameter
and RADIUS are very different, and have little overlap.  This indicates
to me that (c) is the current, and likely best approach.