Re: REMINDER: Call for review of the "NAI-based Peer Discovery" document for acceptance as a RADEXT WG work item

Hello,

sorry for the late reply, inline.

> Section 2.2: says:
>
>    For a given NAI-based input realm,
>
> NAI is... ?  The document doesn't define this term, and doesn't
> reference RFC 4282 (NAI definition).

I will issue a new draft soon and will include the reference.

>    the following algorithm is used to
>    determine the AAA server to contact:
>
>    1.   Transform input realm into punycode.
>
>  This recommendation is correct for DNS, but is problematic in practice.
>  The recommendations in RFC 4282 define how the above transformation is
> done.  *BUT* those recommendations have serious problems.
>
>   Would it be possible to simply rely on the DNS library to do the
> correct conversion, and name resolution?  This document could then
> describe how to mangle the NAI as a string, and that string then gets
> passed to the DNS library for additional punycode mangling, and finally
> lookup.

Sounds good to me. The mangling would be: find first @ in User-Name,
chop off behind @, toss remainder to DNS library and hope for an answer.
Is that what you had in mind?

> Section 3 talks about bidding down attacks.  These attacks can be
> largely mitigated by additional per-client configuration on the server.
>  See the DTLS document for discussion of this topic.

Hmm... The whole purpose of dynamic discovery is that the need for
per-client config becomes obsolete. I agree that pinpointing individual
clients to a desired transport would mitigate the bidding-down. But the
number of clients is not necessarily known beforehand. I would be
delighted if we'd find a solution for the generic case. But my head is
not overflowing of ideas to that end, honestly.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER