Re: IPv6

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Alan DeKok said:
>
> "I suggest racing against the design guidelines document. After all,
> it's only a draft. If the IPv6 document can get published first, then
> the design guidelines matter a lot less."
>
> [BA] Either the Design Guidelines advice is appropriate or it isn't.

  The comment was an attempt at humor, to counter the vitriol directed
at the design guidelines document.

> In this particular case, my take is that the Design Guidelines document
> is saying "don't do precisely what RFC 2868 did".  That is quite
> sensible.  However, it might also be helpful to say "Here are the
> problems that were caused by RFC 2868's scheme, and here is some advice
> to avoid those issues".  That way, until we finish the Extended
> Attributes document, we'll have some way to address these kind of
> situations.

  Update 2.1.1 Tag Mechanism:

Old text:

   New attributes SHOULD NOT use this tagging method because of the
   limitations described above.

New text:

   Where these limitations do not apply, new attributes MAY use this
   tagging method, though it is NOT RECOMMENDED.  Where the above
   limitations apply, this tagging method SHOULD NOT be used.