Re: Data Types defined in RFC 2865

Glen Zorn wrote:
> OK, then how do you know the data type of a new attribute?  Is the Value
> field of the Login-IPv6-Host attribute of type "IPv6 address"?  If so, do
> _all_ attributes of type "IPv6 address" assign special meaning to the values
> 0 & 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?  If not, then it's mot of type "IPv6
> address" is it?

  We can solve this problem by noting how it was solved in RFC 2865.  As
Glen keeps pointing out, the RFCs are definitive, and much better than
anything anyone can come up with today.

  RFC 2865 defines an "address" type of 4 octets.  This address type is
used for NAS-IP-Address, which has no values of special meaning.  The
*exact same* address type is used for Framed-IP-Address, which *does*
have values with special meaning.

  We can conclude:

a) The Elder Gods were wrong: NAS-IP-Address and Framed-IP-Address
   are really of different types

b) the Elder Gods were right: NAS-IP-Address and Framed-IP-Address
   are of the same type.

  If (a), then we need to issue an update to RFC 2865, correcting its
flaws.  (And possibly burning the Elder Gods at the stake for being wrong.)

  If (b), then we can follow the example of the Elder Gods, and believe
that NAS-IPv6-Address, and Login-IPv6-Host are of the same type: IPv6
address.