DHCPv6 and Mac OS X

On Aug 3, 2007, at 14:13, Ralph Droms wrote:

OS X is a somewhat more interesting case, as I don't know of a DHCPv6 client for OS X as yet.

There isn't one, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it in Mac OS X 10.5 if I were you. Careful examination of Apple's developer pages and technical specifications will show no mention of DHCPv6 showing up in Mac OS X any time soon.

I can't say when, or even *whether*, Apple products will contain DHCPv6 clients. Certainly, none of Apple's products in the market today are DHCPv6-enabled, so networks that require DHCPv6 will not admit any of them. That includes iPhone, AppleTV and AirPort, all of which support IPv6 at least to some extent. (Okay, I haven't poked at my new iPhone enough to know what they did with IPv6 there. They *might* have turned it off. I don't know.)

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering