Re: Enhanced SIIT

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Being able to talk to unmodified IPv4 hosts is attractive in the short term because there are so many of them.

Sure, but I think dual stack is the answer to this problem. I realize that the people who are highly motivated to push IPv6 adoption don't like that answer, but it IS a workable answer.

But being able to keep IPv6 clean is attractive in the long term.

No argument there, but the existing solution actually does a better job of keeping things clean, and I think it does a better job of easing adoption personally.

The effort to update either would be approximately the same, in my opinion, because all current OSes support both IP versions.

If I'm Joe random business owner and I'm not interested in disrupting my network to add IPv6, I'm not going to be interested in disrupting my network to add SITT either. There is no business case for content providers to do what you are suggesting they do.

The big difference would be in the appliances such as firewalls and load balancers.

Another reason dual stack is a better solution. Add IPv6 capability when/where you need it, and (in 40 years) drop IPv4 when you don't anymore. If vendors get smart and put both in the same package, so much the better.

The way I see it, the large value isn't in making a random IPv6 host talk to a random IPv4 host. Rather, it's allowing a random IPv6 host to talk to the infrastructures of large content networks that exist in IPv4 which seem to be having a hard time moving to IPv6.

As one of my former colleagues says, that's a difference without a distinction. For at least 90% of the users on the 'net today you're talking about the same thing.

As far as having the IPv6 host know about the translation: a very simple way to do this is with proxies.

And now you've muddied up the IPv6 that you said at the beginning you wanted to keep clean.

FWIW, my opinion is that this idea is a non-starter on both ends of the wire.

Doug

--

	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough