LD VoIP Settlement [ was RE: Welcome!]

The rest of this post assumes that these service providers are in business
to provide voice connectivity to end users and expect to make money
providing this service.  It does not apply to casual VoIP end users nor
business to business toll bypass users.

With that said, local VoIP interconnection can reasonably be done as a
bill-and-keep arrangement, but interconnection for calls which are not local
should be treated like a traditional LD phone call.

There is benefit derived by the service provider of the calling party and
the calling party itself.  And there is expense incurred by the service
provider of called party and arguably by the called party itself.

Service providers will need a reason to decide to peer with other VoIP
service providers.  Whether that reason is revenue protection, revenue
generation, or cost reduction remains to be seen.

I realize that these thoughts are not coherently joined, but my point is
that a system which allows service providers to settle the difference
between the benefits and expenses would allow encourage more service
providers to join.

-James