Re: Welcome!

..and how do the GW operators get
paid?

Oh that, I think, is the easy bit. If I want to send calls to a gateway, and they want to do anything other than bill & keep, I will expect to have a settlement relationship with them (oh, and I will expect them to authenticate the signaling). Else they won't want me to use them.

I can see reasons why VoIP operators might, however, be happy to terminate
VoIP calls made to their own subscribers for free, especially if they get
to specify the IP address to terminate it on as a high resolution function
of the called number.

Seriously .. speaking from personal experience ..if you can solve the problem of routing the money ..everything else is easy. Free is fine for FWD etc but the cost of teleco trunks etc do not IMHO make this amenable to shared commons resources.

Naaah ... my opinion is that if they don't have a SIP URI from FWD,
IPTEL, or something else like  skype else I probably dont want to talk to
them anyway.

I presume that was tongue in cheek - for those delivering a VoIP service with E.164 number, I would have thought the percentage of calls made to other networks with similar characteristics is pretty small currently, and that's exactly the % its worth our while increasing. This is assuming the VoIP phone is being used as if it were a normal phone, not as a toy or extended (voice) VPN.

SIP to SIP works very very well even on best efforts networks the cost of SIP CUA's is dropping like a rock so if anyone wants to call me they can use my URI's. ..I do think you generally need above 256K upstream for reasonable performance with G.711 but if you are using the GIPS codec you can come down several notches and survive 20% or better packet loss.

SKYPE BTW uses the GIPS codec.

-

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>