Re: No need for PSTN numbers -- use inet "phone numbers"

At 12:20 PM +0200 on 6/1/04, Carsten Schiefner wrote:
Richard,

Richard Shockey wrote:
<sigh> seen that .. been there.. the guys in Austria have been trying to push adoption of what the ITU called 878-10 or a global prefix for "Personal Telecommunications Services" within the E.164 plan.. the root is already registered in e164.arpa , it works in ENUM, but Richard Stastny and company cant get any service providers to buy into the scheme.

not any longer, it appears:

http://www.ag-projects.com/docs/PressReleases/PR20040601.pdf

Regards,

-C.

In addition, there are large (capital-L "LARGE") providers looking at +878-10 numbering currently for their customer bases. There was a meeting last week in Pasadena which addressed some of the critical concerns over +878-10, and while the general meeting involved a lot of IP and TDM "mentality disconnects", I still remain hopeful that this will come to a good conclusion soon.

I'd like to (privately, if required) hear from any providers looking for +878-10 numbering space that weren't represented at that meeting; more interest and traction from ENUM-savvy people is a Good Thing, and could assist in breaking some political issues loose more rapidly than expected.

(Note: it is possible to call me on +878-10-2843336600 if your PBX speaks ENUM.)

JT