Re: SIP-T and Q.Sig

I don't know of anyone actually using SIP-T yet, although many list it
on their supported features list.

My understanding of SIP-T is that it is nothing more than an SS7 message
encapsulated inside of a SIP message.

This could be particularly useful for VoIP gateways, as the Term Codes used
in the Voice world do not map well to SIP error messages.  For example,
there are three different term codes that map to a SIP 404 Not Found
error, but in the voice world, 2 of those codes should result in a
incompleted call, where as the 3rd would result in an alt route.  If
the downstream that generated the error message was a VoIP Bridge and it
encapsulated the original SS7 message, the originating switch might have
a better idea of how to handle the failure scenario.

Again, like I said, I'm not aware of anyone actually using it yet...I
wanted to keep quiet for a few days to see if anyone else spoke up first.

Dave

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:09:04PM -0400, Daniel Golding reportedly typed:

> Can anyone shed light on the use of these protocols for inter-call server
> signaling? I've heard SIP-T is become prevalent for this, but the RFC seems
> to indicate that it was originally intended for SS7 to VoIP interoperation,
> rather than voip switch to voip switch signaling.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Daniel Golding
> Network and Telecommunications Strategies
> Burton Group
>

> --

Dave Siegel                     http://www.siegelie.com/people/dsiegel/
Oro Valley, AZ
 "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of
  us could not succeed."  -- Mark Twain