Re: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 08:35:56PM -0400, Dean Anderson spake thusly:
> Remember that it took only 5 minutes for the FBI to crack the encryption
> on files in Aldrich Ames palm pilot (remember the Soviet mole in the FBI).
> We don't know what encryption he used, but presumably, under the direction
> of the KGB, and trained by the FBI, it was respectable.  I've also read

The Palm usually has a 16Mhz 68k series processor. It is not capable of
any sort of serious encryption. The encryption would have been intended to
keep out the casual snooper, not the feds. Cracking a modern
implementation of crypto on a powerful cpu like GPG would be something
entirely different. Even if they were capable of doingit they would not
want to reveal that capability by presenting decrypted info to a judge in
order to prosecute someone.

> reports that the Feds have broken PGP messages sent by terrorists. PGP
> encrypts a Blowfish key with public key, and then encrypts the message in
> Blowfish or other algorithm (blowfish is default).

I highly doubt this for the above reason. Ifthey have done it they surely
wouldn't let it leak because then the terrorists will stop using PGP.

--
Tracy Reed                     The attachment is a digital signature.
http://copilotconsulting.com   More info: http://copilotconsulting.com/sig