Re: Impressions of Fall VON

The MPLS and QoS panel seemed to have gone quite well.  One gentleman came
up to me afterwards and said it was the best, most informative, panel he
had attended all of VON.

It was a small room, rm 313, but packed full.  I figure 100 people or
so attended.

I attended two other panels, one on Venture Capital and one on IAX2.
Venture Capitalists are looking to invest in ideas around applications
to sell to all these millions of cell phone users.

The IAX2 panel was fairly interesting as well.  IAX2 appears to be
quite a powerful alternative to SIP, in that it is very light-weight
and simple to program to.  I was especially impressed by the bandwidth
savings analysis.  It seemed to imply that the signalling overhead of
SIP was about 200% (he cited that on 100 calls, using the same codec,
SIP would use up 3Mbps and IAX2 1Mbps).

That was all I had time to attend, as I got in Tuesday afternoon and
left Wednesday afternoon.

Dave

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 02:15:57PM -0400, Daniel Golding reportedly typed:
> For those not attending...
>
> Anyone on the list have VoIP peering thoughts from Fall VON? (so far)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Daniel Golding
> Network and Telecommunications Strategies
> Burton Group
>

> --

Dave Siegel                     http://www.siegelie.com/people/dsiegel/
Oro Valley, AZ

Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like
shoveling the walk before it stops snowing.
                -- Phyllis Diller