As part of its mandate, the Post-CAVR Technical Secretariat has engaged in active dissemination of the CAVR report Chega! and other CAVR products. This dissemination has focussed on Timor-Leste but has also included some international outreach conducted in a number of countries mainly by civil society organisations in the UK, Indonesia and Australia.
In Timor-Leste, dissemination by the Post-CAVR Secretariat was substantially disrupted and delayed due to the 2006 crisis in Dili. However, from August teams undertook visits to every district and sub-district of Timor-Leste through to January 2007. Funded by the Government of Japan, this work included distribution of Chega! and publications of three of CAVR's public hearings, screenings of the CAVR video Dalan ba Dame, the broadcasting of weekly radio programs and a 5-part audio version of Dalan ba Dame, and seminars and workshops in each district capital, including Dili. In the course of dissemination, teams from the Secretariat shared the results of CAVR's work with a wide cross-section of the community, including victims, NGOs, faith communities, government and government agencies.
The community expressed strong appreciation for the work of CAVR and the report and disappointment that the Parliament of Timor-Leste has not yet debated the Report. However, in view of the size of the report and the complex and challenging nature of its contents and recommendations, it is clear that this dissemination was introductory and too short.
In view of the relevance of Chega! and its key lessons and values to on-going nation-building in Timor-Leste, the Post-CAVR Secretariat is conducting a more focussed, intensive program of socialisation in 2007.
New socialisation resources
- The CAVR report Chega! and the Timor-Leste education system, 13 June 2007
- Comments to Political Parties Forum on Chega!, 31 May 2007, by Pat Walsh
- The role of journalists in disseminating Chega!, Pat Walsh, 22 May 2007
- Seminar on Chega! at the National Library, Jakarta, Introductory comment by Agustinho de Vasconselos, 1 March 2007
- Post-CAVR Letter to Kofi Annan, 25 April 2006, Isabel Amaral Guterres
- Chega! Launch In Canberra, 28 November 2006, Speech by Isabel Guterres.
- Toward a New Timor-Leste: the Shared Responsibility of Religious Institutions, Pat Walsh, 21 June 2006
- Chega! and the Current Crisis, Pat Walsh, 6 November 2006
- Reflections on Solidarity, Pat Walsh, 28 November 2006
- Resource Kit Chega!
- Power Point Presentation - Human Rights Tourism.
- Resolution No. /2008 of 2008 On the Implementation of the Recommendations of the Commission for Reception, Truth and Reconciliation