RE: [IP-Optical] GMPLS enhancements

Hello Maarten,

>It seems that you try to glue toghether two versions of SDH: the
>standardised SDH (G.707) and several proprietary extensions of SDH. Not
>mentioning this explicitly is highly confusing.

We try to glue to the industry. There are common practices and new practices
(e.g. fast restoration) that are not part of G.707 but that are highly
valuable to control. In addition, we consider SONET as well.

GMPLS is a new control plane, it is not proprietary, it is already a
reference in the industry, it is not being standardized by ITU-T and is not
part of G.707. GMPLS deliberately allows to change the classical behavior of
legacy SDH networks.

If somebody don't like GMPLS, he/she is not obliged to implement it - you
may just ignore GMPLS and use the regular G.707.

> It also suggests
>capabilities to be present which will not be supported in many of the
>SDH networks.

Not supported in SDH networks but supported in GMPLS-SDH networks.

There are also plenty of IP capabilities that are not supported in plenty of
IP networks, etc.
A profile is always welcome.

>In my opinion, you should therefore have separate entities in the LSP
>encoding type for standardised-SDH and proprietary-SDH; and idem for
>SONET. Standardised-SDH and proprietary-SDH equipment may not be able to
>interwork; only if proprietary-SDH equipment is configured as
>standardised-SDH equipment interworking will be possible.

About the regular (legacy) SDH interoperability, did you try it already ?
That's really not simple because there are plenty of differences between the
implementations. I heard many people saying that legacy SDH interoperability
doesn't exist.

Restricting the work to a super-minimal set of functionalities that must be
supported by *everybody* doesn't make sense for me. If someone doesn't
implement the capabilities that you want, you don't buy their box, that's
all.

>For standardised-SDH, the EDCBA number is defined in G.707 (10/00);
>G.707 (10/00) compliant equipment will support AU-4-Xc (X=4,16,64,256)
>timeslots as defined by the EDCBA numbering scheme only.

Our label supports this, and more.

>When we introduced the EDCBA numbering, there were no objections from
>any of the companies represented in ITU-T...

Because this numbering has nothing to do with what can be implemented, it is
just a numbering.

>As there is no intention to make one big label encompassing all
>transport layer signals, every layer should be taken individually. This
>includes MSn, HOVC and LOVC layers.

In the context of GMPLS, I see SDH as being one layer. In that layer we can
request pipes of different sizes and we can do some nesting of pipes, by
using the SDH mulitplexing rules. The fact that you have high order pipes
and low order pipes does not imply that we have two layers for SDH and that
we need separate label definitions as you said.

The proof is that one could decide to allocate a VC-11 and to specify
exactly where it is at each level of the SDH multiplex, i.e. by specifying a
full SUKLM label. In your proposal of having SDH high order labels and low
order labels, we will need to allocate and to return two labels at the same
time, it is in conflict with the principles of GMPLS.

Regards,

Eric

"Mannie, Eric" wrote:

> Hi Maarten,
>
> I think that you misunderstood some important things about the label,
I'll
> [...]
specific
> rules: "tree-like" hierarchy.
> - A label identifies the first time-slot (or component) of a particular
> signal, not the full aggregate.
>
> Consequently, you need separate values to identify the nesting (UKLM) and
> only one value to identify any component in the interleaving (S = index).
>
> We just need to identify ONE STM-1/AUG in a group of N STM-1s/AUGs. The S
> field is a simple index, it is flat and there is no reason to represent
> something flat as a hierarchy.
>
> So there is no reason to use E, D, C, B !
>
> And yes, one STM-1 can be seen as a time-slot if all STM-1s are
(logically)
> time-division multiplexed. For instance, if you want to transport four
> STM-1s "transparently" you will have four STM-1s, each one with an
> independent overhead. This can be achieved by interleaving the four
> overheads, or by tunneling the overheads. How this transparency is
achieved
> is proprietary in the data plane, different vendors have different
> solutions. At least we would like to have a standardized solution to
request
> and use it in the control plane. I understand your confusion since we
don't
> use a regular SDH/SONET, but their are common tricks that vendors are
> implementing and that are useful to control in a generic way via the GMPLS
> control plane.
>
> So, we are not 100% glued to G.707. The same apply for
> protection/restoration since we are not tied anymore to only the
> protection/restoration schemes standardized by ITU-T, the fast meshed
> restoration is an example.
>
> In addition, you want to indicate some fixed concatenation levels
(AU-4-4c,
> AU-4-16c, AU-4-64c and AU-4-256c) in the label. This is not appropriate
> since there are plenty of other different levels of concatenation, indeed
> all levels are possible, e.g. AU-4-7c. The concatenation is anyway better
> indicated separately, it is orthogonal with a label.
>
> Think also about contiguous concatenation for example, I could want to
> concatenate the 3rd, 4th and 5th STM-1/AUG, so I just need to say S=3 to
> indicate where begins my concatenation. Arbitrary concatenation is
commonly
> used.
>
> Moreover, we want to be able to manipulate circuits of any size,
> concatenated or not (e.g. an STM-7 or STM-255). With you proposal it would
> be impossible to do so since we can only encode the index of a few
> time-slots. We really need to encode the index of each possible STM-1/AUG.
> We go further than a pure G.707.
>
> Concerning your comment about  SDH ADM and cross connect equipment that
may
> have separate Higher Order and Lower Order fabrics, please refer to our
> discussion that occurred two months ago when I explained the nesting of
LSPs