RE: SDH/SONET concatenation signal types

Maarten,

I agree with you to restrict the signal types for virtual concatenation. In order to determine the requried signal types and otehr information lets have a look on the applicaitons and required features:

Virtual concatenation requires only support at the end nodes (trail termination). Intermediate nodes process only the individual signals (VCs). For the routing of the individual signals that form the virtual concatenated signal several options exist:
- don't care: the signals can have common or diverse routes
- common route: minimize differential delay
- diverse routes for all signals or group of signals: LCAS

If I assume that common routing is achieved by the bundling feature independent of virtual concatenation we don't need a special virtual concatenation signal lable for routing. Diverse routing is another feature that is/should be independent of virtual concatenation and a story of its own.
Only if bundling doesn't mean common routing and we don't need common routing for any other application we need a special VC-n-X signal type which just means X VC-n with common routing.

We still have the need to signal the virtual concatenation information between the trail terminating nodes in order to check if end poitns with matching capabilites are connected or are configured accordingly. What information is needed?
- A indication that it is a virtual concatenated signal
- The number of concatenated signals or LCAS

We have already the G-PID type which is also only used at the end points in order to check the client mapping. Putting the information into the G-PID is a possibility, may be not the best. Any ideas?

Regards

Juergen