RE: Please Clarify Doubts regarding RGT & RNC

Neil and Juergen,

I think Hai has already made the point. When I was talking about change
in bandwidth, I was implicitly assuming that Hai was referring to the
virtual concatenation case. (Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't
think there was any other situation, proposed in the standards,
where you could dynamically change the bandwidth of an existing SONET
channel.)
[Although, one might conceive of situations where implementations that
support
arbitrary concatenation might allow for one to increase the bandwidth
of an existing circuit simply by adding more STS-1s to it. For instance,
if one was switching an arbitrarily concatenated STS-5, and wanted to make
it an STS-7 (assuming that the 2 other STS-1s were contiguous with the
5 STS-1s that formed the STS-5 signal), one might be able to do it.]

I understand that if you wanted to setup
a totally different SONET/SDH channel (with a different bandwidth),
you would need to go the "create new->switch_to_new->delete old"
route.

Also, Neil, I did read your earlier email. The reason I did not think that
that comment applied here was because (I thought) the current discussion
was only in the context of virtual concatenation with LCAS,
since that appears to be the only scheme which allows for the dynamic
addition or deletion of channels to an existing (virtually
concatenated) connection.

-Vishal