Re: Please Clarify Doubts regarding RGT & RNC

Vishal & Sambu,

I would like to add a bit to this discussion.

First some background:
For those familiar with functional modeling (and I recommend
it to all as an excellent tool for understanding communication
networks) there are three (or maybe four) functional considerations
that must be addressed in setting up a trail.
1) the type of characteristic information (which is necessary to
   determine which link connections can support the connection)
2) the type of trail termination function (which must be matched
   at the trail endpoints)
3) the client characteristic information and type of adaptation
   (which may be separate considerations or bound together, and
   also must be matched at the endpoints)

Generally, intermediate nodes need only know 1), and possibly parts
of 2) if they support non-intrusive monitoring.  The endpoints
need to be able to exchange info about 2) and 3).

The current signaling structure, however, does not provide separate
fields for each of these areas.  There are only Signal Type and GPID
fields.  Signal Type encodes 1) and parts of 2), and GPID encodes 3).

A similar encoding is being used with RGT (that is, combining
information needed in transit nodes and end nodes into one field).
Thus (as has been explained) the difference between virtual
concatenation and bundling is relevant to the endpoints and not
the transit nodes.

Now to my point:
The RGT field is also required to distinguish between differing
connection requirements in transit nodes, and this has not been
precisely explained yet.

Both virtual concatenation and bundling share the constraint that
the set of link connections used must all be within the same higher
order container.  This guarantees some degree of shared fate and
limits delay difference.

I have stated this as a definition, but this is only one possible
constraint.  Other possibilities include:

a) the set of link connections must be within one bit stream, but
   may be in different higher order containers,
b) the set of link connections must go to the same neighbor (the
   loosest possible constraint within the signaling model), but
   they may be in different bit streams (even different fibers).

Eventually we must be precise about what the constraint is for
each RGT, and we may need to define additional RGT codepoints if
we need to encode different constraints.  Note: there may be a
label signaling problem if constraint b) is required.

Contiguous concatenation types have the specific constraint that
the set of components be treated as a single byte stream in transit
nodes (relative to pointer adjustment, etc.) and this implies the
components must all be within the same higher order container.

I think the difference between standard and arbitrary contiguous
concatenation should only be in the number of components allowed.
Timeslot flexibility is a local constraint between neighbors, and
both standard and arbitrary concatenated signals can make use of
flexible timeslot allocation, if supported.  Given this, we may
need to have a way to negotiate support for timeslot flexibility
between neighbors (via LMP?) independently of the signaling of a
specific LSP.

Regards,
Ben