Re: Please Clarify Doubts regarding RGT & RNC

Neil,

Your observation that the VC-n-Xv LCAS trail isn't networked it self is
correct. The VC-n-Xv LCAS is to be viewed as a sublayer located between
VC-n Trail Termination functions and VC-n/Client Adaptation function.

> ... Further, although I am not familar with the actual LCAS framing
> algorithm I am sure it will impose constraints on the nature/type
> of add/remove L1 trails that can be used, ie I am sure you cannot
> mix arbitrary L1 server trails.....so this will impose BW
> granularity/route-availability constraints on the server SDH layer
> networks, as defined by the LCAS algorithm.

The VC-n-Xv signal definition assumes one type of VC-n (e.g. n=4) being
used in a virtual concatenated group. If you would like to identify this
as a "constraint" because you want to mix e.g. VC-12, VC-3 and VC-4
signals in one virtual concatenated group, I would have to agree with
you. But, I don't view it as a constraint myself, while nobody has
requested such type mix being supported.

A state of the art VC-4-Xv LCAS implementation transporting the ethernet
packets in a 1 GbE interface signal can accomodate 16 ms of differential
delay; this is about 3000 km of fiber. So as long as the X (X<=7) VC-4
signals are routed through the network with diff delays between each two
VC-4 routes of less than 16 ms, there are no constraints.
I.e. you may even route each VC-4 signal in the group via different
fibers/ducts and different nodes to the endpoint; e.g. VC--4 #1 is
routed via nodes B,C,D to Z, VC-4 #2 via nodes E,F to Z, VC-4 #3 via
nodes G,H,I,J,K,L to Z, etc.

The delay compensation process in node Z is adaptive, and optimises its
operation for minimum transfer delay (latency). E.g. if diff delay is in
microsecond range, then latency is in microsecond range; if diff delay
is in millisecond range, then latency is in millisecond range; etc.

As such, I can't see any real constraints at this moment, and with
technology continuously enhancing (e.g. buffer sizes) it will only be
better in future.

Regards,

Maarten

neil.2.harrison@bt.com wrote:

> Hai Vodinh [mailto:HVoDinh@turinnetworks.com] wrote Sent: 23 March 2001
> 23:13
> > Maarten,
> >
> > Thanks for the clear and concise explanation of how LCAS work.
> > The 'create_new->switch_to_new->delete_old' scheme definitely
> > won't work for LCAS then.
> >
> > Hai
> From the trail defined by the *LCAS framing perspective* this is
> correct....with the additional (minor, but subtley important) observation
> that these new (LCAS) layers are not networked themselves.  But you are
> still creating (and deleting, potentially at least) new (old) pt-pt trails
> in the SDH fabric. However, for the general pt-pt L1 trail case then what
> I/Juegen said is perfectly correct.....LCAS is an exception not the rule
> *and* it is because there is a new trail entity ('the LCAS group') being
> created above the basic L1 server fabric.  Further, although I am not
> familar with the actual LCAS framing algorithm I am sure it will impose
> constraints on the nature/type of add/remove L1 trails that can be used, ie
> I am sure you cannot mix arbitrary L1 server trails.....so this will impose
> BW granularity/route-availability constraints on the server SDH layer
> networks, as defined by the LCAS algorithm.
> neil

begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Lucent Technologies Nederland;NA&CPSE
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard