Re: Two-octet bandwidth values

Kireeti Kompella wrote:

> Let's get the ball rolling.  Please send questions and comments to the
> list.  Here are mine:
>
> Questions to vendors:
> 1) Is floating point arithmetic a burdensome requirement?  Is having
>    a new library of functions for the two-octet "floating point"
>    representation a burdensome requirement?
> 2) Is halving the size of the bandwidth TLVs a big win (keep in mind
>    that more bandwidth TLVs are being proposed)?
>    (a) for ISIS?
>    (b) for OSPF?
>    (c) if the answers for ISIS and OSPF differ, is it acceptable to
>        have different formats for the two protocols?
>
> Questions to vendors & carriers:
> 1) Is 10 bits of dynamic range (0.1% accuracy) good enough?

Yes

> 2) Are you in favor of this draft, or against?

In favour I think.

Simplistically (sp?) it would seem that things should have been this way
from the start?

Whether it is worth migrating to this, or whether we should just stick
with what we have, is another question...

Giles

Giles Heron      Principal Network Architect      Gone2 Inc.
ph: +44 7880 506185         "if you build it they will yawn"