RE: restoration time requirement (was Re: Last Call on RSVP Labe l Allocation for Backup Tunnels)

Curtis,

I not sure I understand what point your trying to make - other that make
implicit critcism of the body of engineers who put together SONET/SDH
technology.

Generally speaking, the specs and parameters that go to make up SONET/SDH
are there for good technical and economic reasons and, while some of these
may now be historical, it would seem to me more helpful to work from an
assumption that a set of good engineers were solving a real problem. I can
try and give you my understanding and memory of the problems that resulted
in some of the SONET/SDH features you "AFAIK" comment on. I'm sure Heiles,
Maarten, and others will comment where their memory differs.

50ms restoration
This figure has a very long history. My memory is that this started as time
the SONET/SDH payload should wait before assuming a failure in the payload.
The figure was chosen somewhat randomly as that were many implementation
specific factors which would affect the time including detection of LOS,
detection of LOF, any protection mechanism (MSP or internal equipment card
protection) and we made a conscious decision not to specify any details of
these - they are open to different vendor implementation for good economic
reasons. It general use now, it includes any failure detection time, any
protection signalling time, any protection switching time, and any time for
signals to reacquire and stablise. In practise some implementations with
simple 1+1 MSP protection over short distances will switch in a few
millisecs while implementations of more complex shared ring MSP protection
on geographically large rings struggle to meet the 50ms. This is simply the
transmission time required to pass the MSP signalling around the ring. As a
broad summary, SONET/SDH is generally designed to go as fast as possible -
unless you are goning to invent a new speed for the speed of light, you are
unlikely to usefully go faster than SONET/SDH protection schemes.

I draw three conclusions from this
- lambda optical systems can and should just use the current SONET/SDH specs
as this is now the "bottom of the network" - some small modifications are
probably needed to reflect the analogue nature of DWDM
- SONET/SDH systems deployed over lambda optical systems should understand
they are no longer at the bottom of the network and do something about the
potential interactions, eg don't use SONET/SDH MSP or use a holdoff timer -
all out equipment is specced to have a programmable delay of 0-100ms and the
spec was written 10 years ago.
- packet based layers must be designed to cope with either SONET/SDH or
lambda optical protection switching underneath.

Scramblers
This is a good example of IETFers not asking the experts in the field.
No-one bothered to ask anyone who knew about SONET/SDH before writing the
PoS spec and just got it wrong. The x43 + 1 scrambler was specced for
non-byte interleaved SONET/SDH payloads in around 1990. There was/is nothing
wrong with SONET/SDH only some IETFers not knowing what they don't know.

Bi-directional fibre working
It has been know for a long time that bi-directional fibre working can cause
a problem with detecting fibre breaks - a transmit signal reflects off the
break and is received and a perfectly framed signal. This is why the J0 byte
was recoded (it was orginally called C1) so that each transmitter can send a
different signal label and detect if it receives it own signal label. My
guess is the anacdote you refer to was a problem in setting the J0 signal
label.

Hope this answer some of the "issues" people raise with SONET/SDH. I'm
convinced good engineers can work together but it takes a level of mutual
respect.

Andy