From: Bernstein, Greg [mailto:GregB@ciena.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 12:27 PM
To: 'Zhi-Wei Lin'
Cc: 'Maarten Vissers'; Anup Tirumala; ccamp@ops.ietf.org;
chickoo66@yahoo.com; ip-optical@lists.bell-labs.com; t1x1.5; q11/15
Subject: [T1X1.5] RE: [IP-Optical] concatenation extensions in sonet/sdh

To avoid re-grooming either virtual concatenation or arbitrary concatenation
can help, but the implications are quite different.
Say we have a particularly valuable (expensive) link that we can't or don't
want to re-groom then we have two options:
(1)     Require that ALL end systems that could potentially use this link
convert over to virtual concatenation from standard concatenation.
(2)     Or, install boxes at both ends of the link that support the
arbitrary concatenation that we've been discussing.

Which of these seems more realistic and practical?
Greg B.
        Dr. Greg M. Bernstein, Senior Scientist, Ciena