RE: [T1X1.5] RE: [IP-Optical] concatenation extensions in sonet/s dh

Are we having fun for a Thursday, or what?
Zhi, had me convinced that I should do a "start up" specializing in virtual
concatenation for link bandwidth optimization, then Monica asked me about
overhead use in arbitrary concatenation...
Here are some more points:
(1)	Arbitrary concatenation (assuming standard sizes) is fairly minor
tweak of standard contiguous concatenation, i.e., the framer just needs to
be told the starting time slot (which has the pointer) and the remaining
(arbitrary) time slots (which have the concatenation indication set).  No
path overhead is used for this process.  It is strictly a line level
operation, e.g., B3 is not recalculated.  This is suitable for LTE equipment
and has nice consequences for avoiding re-grooming.
(2)	Virtual concatenation is a whole new and useful feature that uses
path level overhead, in particular the H4 byte.  Hence the path level BIP B3
needs to recalculated.  This is more a PTE (path termination equipment) kind
of thing to do.  Not something that a typical switch would necessarily want
to do for compatibility purposes. This was intended for a much more
sophisticated application, i.e., a path level "bonding" or inverse
multiplexing, but it lacks path level transparency if used to avoid
regrooming.

Hope this puts some more gasoline (petrol) onto the fire.

Greg B.

	Dr. Greg M. Bernstein, Senior Scientist, Ciena