Re: [IP-Optical] Re: Proposed text for the concatenation

Hi,

A few general comments...

Seems we all have different ideas about what "proprietary" means and
what "standard" means. I hear two things:

Proprietary #1 -- if more than two vendors implement, then it is not
proprietary. Then what is it? Standard?

Proprietary #2 -- any extensions or differences from that which is
specified by a standards body. This includes features that may be
supported by 99% of the vendors, but is still proprietary if not
introduced and standardized by the standards body.

The other thing I see in the discussion is...some features may belong in
the document while others may not.

==> What is the criteria that we are using in evaluating which feature
gets into the document, and which feature stays out? There are many
vendors in the industry. I am fairly certain that each vendor will have
a "unique" capability that their box can support. Some of these features
may be VERY similar amongst a set of vendors. If we open up to the
proprietary #1 definition, I am sure that there are many additional
features that will need to be added.

Let's be democratic...define what evaluation metric is used, then let's
compare features and allow ALL vendors the opportunity to prove to meet
the metric...

or decide only standards-based capability is supported, but mention that
control plane can always be extended to support proprietary
extensions...

Zhi