RE: [T1X1.5] RE: Proposed text for the concatenation

Hello Zhi,

>Yes, The signalling can be compliant to GMPLS. But what would that mean
>for compliance of the transport network?

We already gave a number of scenarios where there are no interoperability
issue within the transmission plane (or transport network as you said) with
the proposed features.

>As I mentioned a while back, interworking is needed in two levels,
>signalling interworking AND transport interworking.

Yes, and so what ? Why do you ignore these scenarios ? See previous comment.

>As for "multiple standards bodies", yes there are more than one
>standards bodies working on this, but they all work TOGETHER and align
>with each other, and the folks working on this are experts in the area
>who's been in the industry for MANY years. ANSI document specifies
>SONET. So does Telcordia GRs. ITU Recommendation specifies SDH. So does
>ETSI specs.

I never went to this expert versus non expert discussion because this is
inappropriate from my point of view. Personally I consider that people
implementing the new generation of fully non-blocking SDH/SONET switches are
very good experts of SDH/SONET, whatever are the standardization bodies
where they are active at some point in the time.

Regards,

Eric

John Drake wrote:

> Monica,
>
> When you say standards compliant, which standards bodies are you
> considering?  I.e., from one of Eric's
> notes I got the impression that there were actually multiple bodies that
had
> defined SONET/SDH features.
> Further, we could indicate that implementations of GMPLS signalling are
are
> GMPLS compliant - see 'self
> defining term' in the index of Knuth vol 1.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

interoperability.
> One problem I see has to do with the AUG7STS Group signal type, another
> proprietary feature. The AUG/STS group signal type provides some
> transparency concerning the underlying VC-3/4/4-Xc structure. However as
> pointer processing for the individual VCs is still required in case of
> multiplexing the network elements have to detect the VC-N structure by
> themselves using the pointer information (valid pointer, concatenation
> indication). But this doesn't work with flexible arbitrary contiguous
> concatenation, at least with the solution I have in mind. Additional
> information on the VCs that belong together is needed in-band (SOH?) if
> automatic detection should be supported. If it is not supported it cannot
be
> part of a AUG/STS group signal type while all other types of concatenation
> can be. If it is supported you might not need a label set. A label for the
> first time slot is enough. The network element detects which other belong
> the group. So from the currently available informatio!
> !
> !
> n it is difficult to tell if the control plane support is correct.
> One other question. The Sonet/SDH GMPLS document says that virtual
> concatenation can be used with any contiguous concatenation. Although with
> flexible arbitrary contiguous concatenation as both require a label set?
>
> Coming back to the AUG/STS group and TUG. I missed it in your new proposed
> section. It is a proprietary feature.
> Dimitri mentioned that AUG-X is defined in G.707 but not supported in
G.783.