RE: Dead of GMPLS ?

Hello Guo-Qiang,

>  If one non-SONET/SDH-standard feature could decide the death or the
liveness
of GMPLS, it is the reason I strongly suggest you guys remove this feature
to a separate document to keep GMPLS alive.  Up to now, all the arguments we
have
seen are focusing on non-SONET/SDH-standard issue, not on lambda switching
and fiber switching.

No, please read the included e-mails and the e-mails that I was referred to,
they are talking about waveband switching, etc..

We are now speaking about removing waveband switching, about where to put
protection/restoration, and about scanning all the GMPLS drafts to see what
should be removed (see the three e-mails from Maarten).

I am discussing the general principle of moving all non-standard related
features to separate documents. If you want to do it for technology A, to
stay consistent you have to do it also for technology B, C, etc.

Of course you have to remove lambda switching since this is proprietary
(what are the parameters to control, to signal, etc... we don't know yet) -
It is too early in this draft to speak about that before knowing how exactly
the transmission plane will look like. There is no value of having a
standardized control plane to control proprietary networks (as I
understood).

My list of features to remove contains at least:

- SDH/SONET transparency.
- SDH/SONET arbitrary concatenation, flexible concatenation.
- AUG-X, TUG, STS Groups signal types and LSP capabilities.
- All kinds of end-to-end protection/restoration for any layer, except the
IP layer.
- The Waveband switching object and its concept.
- The concept of LSC and FSC layers, i.e. concept of lambda and fiber
switching.
- The label set object (only used for lambda issues).
- LSP encoding type, bandwidth encoding and GPID have to be simplified
accordingly.
- MPLS extensions to control G.709 (since multiplexing, etc is not yet
defined).
- etc...

Something else to add to this list ?

Rgds,

Eric

  If one non-SONET/SDH-standard feature could decide the death or the
liveness
of GMPLS, it is the reason I strongly suggest you guys remove this feature
to a separate document to keep GMPLS alive. Up to now, all the arguments we
have
seen are focusing on non-SONET/SDH-standard issue, not on lambda switching
and fiber switching.
  Regards,
G.Q Wang
Technical Manager