RE: Last call - RSVP problems

Dimitrios,
  If you're using the RSVP Hello to detect the failure of the RSVP module
only, then this is fine.  If you're using the RSVP Hello to detect (or
rather, infer) control channel failures, I have a problem.  For starters, I
don't think it works for parallel (redundant) control channels; if control
channel redundancy is *not* important for SPs, then it's not as much of an
issue, however, I think you're overloading the semantics of the RSVP Hello.

  See additional comments inline.

Thanks,
Jonathan

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> What needs to be detected here is the inability to send and
> receive signaling messages to and from your RSVP peer. In this
> respect, using RSVP Hello is a more accurate mechanism for
> detecting failures since it is part of the RSVP protocol and
> independent of the link layer used to realize the control
> channel. As you point out, if you prefer redundant control
> channels for resiliency, and want to rely on LMP only, you have
> to correlate all LMP detected failures in order to declare a
> control channel failure.
This is not correct.  LMP allows you to detect individual control channel
failures, even when there are multiple (redundant) control channels.  The
RSVP Hello cannot do this.

> With RSVP Hello you would rely on a
> single set of event(s) to detect the failure.
To be clear, the failure of the RSVP module.

> To go even further, what if all your control channels are working
> fine, but your RSVP daemon has crashed, for whatever reason.
> LMP hellos will keep going across but RSVP messages will not...
This is where the RSVP Hello has its place.

> All this points to the (certainly non-trivial) problem of failure
> detection and correlation at different layers. I am not trying to
> say that RSVP Hello is the perfect or only mechanism we should rely
> on, but it certainly has a place in addressing the problem.
agreed.  see above comment.