Re: GMPLS Sonet extensions

Diego,

If we assume that e.g. LOVC-SCs communicate with other LOVC-SCs and that
HOVC-SCs communicate with other HOVC-SCs, then it seems not possible to
me (might be wrong) to aggregate LOVC information exchanged between
LOVC-SCs with HOVC information exchanged between HOVC-SCs in one and the
same message. Aggregation can be realised in this case by multiplexing
both information flows onto the same SCN only.

The SCN is a data network in which LOVC-SCs, HOVC-SCs, ODU1-SCs, etc are
endpoints. If this network is build up with e.g. MPLS connections we may
multiplex LOVC information flows with HOVC information flows over the
same MPLS connection (e.g. between A and B) if e.g. LOVC-SC and HOVC-SC
within network element A need to communicate with LOVC-SC and HOVC-SC in
network element B. But logically, there are a LOVC-SC-A to LOVC-SC-B
MPLS connection, a HOVC-SC-A to HOVC-SC-B MPLS connection and an NE-A to
NE-B MPLS aggregate connection.

Regards,

Maarten

Diego Caviglia wrote:

> Maaeten,
>
>                 In my understanding Greg's sentence (but of course the last word
> on  the  matter  of  his  sentence  is  up  to him) refers to the possibility of
> aggregating  information  from  different  layers in order to have less protocol
> instances than layers.
>
> If we consider all the possible layers inside the TN we have:
>
> 1.   LOVC
>
> 2.   HOVC
>
> 3.   ODU1
>
> 4.   ODU2
>
> 5.   ODU3
>
> 6.   Lambda

I prefer to refer to the latter one as "OCh" (optical channel). A
"Lambda" is a representation of a tributary (i.e. frequency) slot in an
aggregate signal. Thus a Lambda is not a signal.

"Lambda switching" is as such also impossible; instead the "optical
channel signal" (transported over a "lambda") is switched from a lambda
in the incoming aggregate signal to a lambda in the outgoing aggregate
signal (or to a single channel outgoing signal without lambda).

> Moreover  we  have to take into account for Lambda switching purpose the type of
> the  fiber  (I  mean if the fiber is G.655, G.653, G.652 and maybe the vendor of
> the fiber) and for diversity routing purpose the duct layer.
>
> Do  we  need  to  aggregate  information  from  these layers? If so how could we
> aggregate layers?
>
> Is  OSPF/IS-IS with extension the right choice in this layered environment or do
> we have to move to another routing protocol?
>
> The  routing  protocol(s) have to cope with lots of constraints and with lots of
> problems  that  were not in the "flat" IP networks for which they were designed.
> e.g.  can a LOVC request trigger a HOVC trail creation? Repeating the process it
> could  be  possible  that  a  LOVC  request triggers a Lambda trail that from an
> operator perspective, which I suppose is not desirable.

Correct. My example is a DS1 (1.5M) connection request creating a 40G
ODU3 trail; see ftp://ftp.t1.org/T1X1/X1.5/1x151260.doc

Regards,

Maarten

> [...]
> present in the layer network (or layer network partition the LNTC is
> responsible for).
>
> Separate of the above, the ASON recommendations will specify the signal
> flow over inter domain interfaces where
> - a customer interconnects with an operator
> - two operators interconnect
> - two vendors interconnect.
>
> Over these inter domain interfaces you have to comply to the signal
> (message) structure. For ASON networks this will be based on the layer
> network structure. Within one domain the same layer network structured
> approach may be used, or one may decide to create a "spaghetti mountain"
> in which the layer network structure is not adhered to. That's up to the
> individual vendor.
>
> Regards,
>
> Maarten
>
> "Bernstein, Greg" wrote:
> >
> > Hi Maarten, Diego, et. al.
> > what's interesting here is the question of what do we mean by "its own
> > instance of a control plane"?  Obviously if we are setting up a LOVC (in
> > SONET, say a VT1.5 capable of carrying a DS1 signal) we will be signaling to
> > those switches that are LOVC capable.  Other switches need not be involved.
> > If it turns out that the LOVC capable switches are not interconnected by a
> > HOVC (in SONET an STS-1 that is used to carry multiple VT1.5) then the
> > appropriate HOVC interconnecting the LOVC needs to be setup first.  In GMPLS
> > speak we first setup the HOVC LSP tunnel(s) between the LOVC capable
> > switches before we set up the LOVC LSPs.
> >
> > Since we have to (a) be able to set up connects at the appropriate layers,
> > (b) understand the topology at each layer, to me this sounds like an
> > instance of a control plane at each layer.
> > However, it doesn't necessarily tell me whether I'd want to (or not)
> > integrate multiple layer information into a protocol and run fewer protocol
> > instances than network layers.  Well actually as Maarten wrote in a recent
> > ITU document that we would be primarily interested in those layers involved
> > in dynamic switching/multiplexing.  Note that we've started to bring in
> > non-dynamic layer information via other mechanisms, e.g., the SRLG concept
> > (the WDM--SONET example I always give).
> >
> > With the signaling protocol things are really separated by who is involved
> > in the signaling transaction.  In the routing case things are less clear,
> > i.e., who wants/needs to know information about other layers and what burden
> > does this present to the NEs and scalability.  Which layers can benefit by
> > integration...  I'll be updating the Optical inter-domain route requirements
> > draft soon (with others) and will be exploring some of these items in more
> > depth.
> >
> > (Terminology: LOVC := Lower order virtual container, SDH term that includes
> > signals between 1.5 and 6Mbps in the SDH hierarchy.  HOVC := Higher order
> > virtual container, SDH terms that includes signals between 50Mbps-40Gbps in

begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard