From: Maarten Vissers [mailto:mvissers@lucent.com]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 7:29 AM
To: manoj juneja
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: GMPLS Doubt

Manoj,

manoj juneja wrote:

> Hi All,
>         In the draft draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-signalling-04.txt,
> different values of LSP encoding type are defined. What all values
> of LSP encoding type are currently supported by GMPLS ?
>
> The GMPLS draft does not specify the Label formats for ANSI/ETSI PDH
> etc.

More work is to be done here it seems... It should be possible to
request e.g. a DS1 or DS3 connection through a SDH/SONET network. When
crossing the UNI, the DS1/DS3 connection request is converted into a
VT1.5/STS1 connection request within the SDH/SONET network. So perhaps
only the UNI format is required.

> I think the only supported values of LSP encoding type are :
>
> SDH ITU-T G.707 1996
> SONET ANSI T1.105-1995
> SDH ITU-T G.707 2000
> SONET ANSI T1.105-2000

SDH and SONET can be treated as a single type, and this is the direction
in the development of G.ason (ITU-T). Let's make sure that GMPLS does
follow this; otherwise confusion will be the result.

Note that a number of the presumed differences between SONET and SDH may
also be present between SDH and SDH (e.g. 16/64 byte trace identifiers).
And similarly, some of the presumed SONET/SDH differences may also be
present between SONET and SONET (e.g. PDI, E-RDI).

The interworking issues associated with these "differences" must thus be
treated in a generic SONET/SDH independent manner.

Regards,

Maarten